My name is Maria Dawson and I am a new Parent Governor.
I have a daughter, Katie Dawson, at Year 3.
I studied Business Computing (Bachelor Hons Degree), MSc Management Information Technology and further postgraduate studies on Artificial Intelligence, whilst working as a Visiting Lecturer during my last year of study.
I have been working in Higher Education for 16 years now. I have changed few roles during that time, gaining a rather colourful background of knowledge and expertise in the process.
Here is a list of my expertise and interests, which I thought, could be exploited for the benefit of our school:
- Learning and Teaching approaches, particularly teaching styles/ approaches and pupils motivation, engagement and achievement (that raise institutional standards too),
- Curriculum Design and development (with particular focus on experiences gained outside the classroom)
- Admissions and admissions appeals,
- Complaints and resolution
- Recruitment and selection process (staff related)
- Pastoral care
- Quality: Approvals, Reviews, Validations, Standardisation, Monitoring
Finally, I have a private business too, which I run and manage… and I also work (as the circumstances demand) as a panel member for FE and HE Validations and Approvals events at a national level.
I am committed and take my role seriously. I appreciate constructive criticism and honesty. I am very approachable person (as you will find out) with a rather positive nature and naturally enthusiastic about mostly everything. I love learning and I love challenges.